We always welcome dedicated people who share our enthusiasm for the welfare of animals
If you would like to join our team of volunteers, you could help in one or more of the following ways:
- Kennel Volunteers are always needed. Without volunteers we could not operate our kennels at Egremont. When we re-open we will need many hands to help, so please watch this space for updates and get in touch.
- Fosterers are needed to help with the short and long-term care of dogs, cats and small animals. All supplies and vet costs are covered by the charity.
- Home/animal assessors are vital to visit the homes of potential owners to check the care and environment to be provided and to assess an animal coming into our care for re-homing. Training will be provided.
- Fundraisers are always needed to help raise important funds to help us give animals the care and treatments they need. We are always looking for people with ideas or who can attend Fundraising events in the local area such as selling raffle tickets, having car boot sales, getting sponsors and donators, making crafts to sell, cake sales etc. We can never have enough volunteers for this so please contact us if you think you could help. It really is enjoyable working with the team at events, meeting members of the public and their furry friends too.
- Gardening & Maintenance - The Mary Irwin Centre sits in a lovely rural setting and the quiet aspect is good for reducing stress and anxieties in the animals staying here awaiting their forever homes. The site has many trees, shrubs and grassed areas and needs regular maintenance so the animals can play/walk around the site safely. We always need help with gardening, painting and odd jobs, there is always a job that needs doing. When we re-open we will need many hands to help, so please watch this space for updates and get in touch.
- Trustees roles are responsible for running the Charity. We currently have 8 appointed out of a board of 12. Would welcome people to either be on the board as a Trustee or as participants in sub-committees. The skills we are looking for to complement our existing board are in: Business planning – strategy, Marketing & promotions/grant writing & Financial management/accounting/investing.
- Paid positions are sometimes available within the Charity. Please check the news page for any vacancies.
A word from our Volunteers and Staff
"My name is Caroline, I have volunteered with Animal Charity for at least 12 years now. Starting off as a small animal fosterer; 30 female rats to be exact; I thought I would help out for a week or two, little did I know! Over the years I have helped with caring for a variety of small furries, which I enjoyed. I later began helping at the Northside kennels with the dogs and later I moved on to the cat side of things which Ive stuck with. I am now a fully signed up member of the Crazy Cat Ladies Club! With the help of other volunteers I have rescued and rehabilitated cats from their day of birth and watched them them head off into loving homes. This is what I love. People often ask 'How can you let them go?' the simplest answer is there is always another waiting to be helped. I have had a lot of joy and satisfaction knowing that I have been able to help animals in need and I have made a lot of good friends and memories too. I would definitely give volunteering a go if you have the time and love animals, but don't say I didn't warn you when you are here years down the line!"