We always welcome dedicated people who share our enthusiasm for the welfare of animals
If you would like to join our team of volunteers, you could help in one or more of the following ways:
- Cattery and Kennel Volunteers are needed to fit into the rota. Volunteers form a vital part the Mary Irwin Centre operations. When we re-open we will need many hands to help, so please watch this space for updates and get in touch.
- Home/animal assessors are vital to visit the homes of potential owners to check the care and environment to be provided and to assess an animal coming into our care for re-homing. Training will be provided.
- Fundraisers are always needed to help raise important funds to help us give animals the care and treatments they need. We are always looking for people with ideas or who can attend Fundraising events in the local area such as selling raffle tickets, having car boot sales, getting sponsors and donators, making crafts to sell, cake sales etc. We can never have enough volunteers for this so please contact us if you think you could help. It really is enjoyable working with the team at events, meeting members of the public and their furry friends too.
- Gardening & Maintenance - The Mary Irwin Centre sits in a lovely rural setting and the quiet aspect is good for reducing stress and anxieties in the animals staying here awaiting their forever homes. The site has many trees, shrubs and grassed areas and needs regular maintenance so the animals can play/walk around the site safely. We always need help with gardening, painting and odd jobs, there is always a job that needs doing. When we re-open we will need many hands to help, so please watch this space for updates and get in touch.
- Trustees roles are responsible for running the Charity. We currently have 4 appointed out of a board of 8. Would welcome people to be on the board as a Trustee. The skills we are looking for to complement our existing board are in: Business planning – strategy, Marketing & promotions/grant writing & Financial management/accounting/investing, IT and Human Resources.
- Paid positions are sometimes available within the Charity. Any current job roles will be advertised through Recruit Cumbria
A word from our Volunteers and Staff
"When I retired, I wanted to do volunteer work with animals. I found out about Animal Concern and am working with dogs and cats. It is so rewarding to see the change in the animals. Sometimes they are very sad when the come to the Centre. With the love and care they get from us, they go to their new homes happy. I have made lots of new friends, it is so lovely being part of a team looking after animals." Maureen
"Having had my own dog walking & pet sitting business was an amazing privilege and learning experience. After relocating my aim was to work for an animal charity knowing there are a variety of jobs and whichever part your role is, it is an important aspect contributing to animal welfare, be it raising awareness, education, fundraising or hands on animal care. Animal welfare is invaluable and something I am passionate about." Yvonne